A Snake Bitten Society


By Dr. Regina Villela

As we find ourselves in horror, watching the addiction cycle escalate to epidemic levels, the question strikes like lightning, “What is happening in our world?” “What can we do as a Christian community to reduce the chaos and insanity of a society that has been snake bitten with the venom of addiction?” The venom that has been injected is playing out like a 3D movie. We watch as people lose their lives to drug overdoses by unbelievable numbers (over 100 daily). Innocent people dying on our streets and highways. Violence consuming neighborhoods. Hatred holding love hostage. Children dying from the ingestion of crystal meth. Sexting among little girls resulting in falling prey to “sex traffickers.” These horrific acts playing out on the screen of a snake-bitten society are frightening beyond description. Again, the lightning strikes and poses the question: “Is there any hope for a society poisoned with the venom of immediate gratification?” “I want better and I want it now!” “I want bigger and I want it now!” “I want happy and I want it now!” “I want love and I want it now!” Once this venom is released into the victim it interrupts the healthy flow of life which can only be produced by being joyful in hope, patient in affliction and faithful in prayer (Romans 12:12).

As Program Developer of Servants of the Streets Ministries, a Christ-centered recovery ministry. I am convinced that it will require an entire community working together to reduce the Nation’s epidemic of addiction. Although I work with other communities offering and supporting various models or theories of treatment as well as varying opinions about causes, I am an avid supporter of the Moral Model of addiction as opposed to the medical or disease model.

Based upon my personal experience as an addict, as well as program developer, the evidence that choice is a God-given gift to all mankind is overwhelming. I spent fifteen years of my life in the hopeless pit of addiction to drugs, alcohol and destructive behavior. Suddenly, one night I heard a voice speaking to me…declaring that my life was going to change. I know this sounds insane to many of you but it is my true story. I was not in a church or religious gathering of any kind… yet amid something so dark and so deep God spoke to me about change and gave me hope. The very next day I told my husband (also addicted) that I would no longer live in the insanity and chaos of addiction. I had chosen change! If the power to choose is removed from humanity…hope is lost. When hope is lost, discouragement, disappointment, and depression begin to hold us hostage. The Bible says that “hope deferred makes the heart sick (Proverbs 13:12).” Next, I would like to share stories of individuals who were addicted for years, but decided that they wanted something different in life; CHANGE. They made the powerful choice to change.
_________________________________________________________________

My name is Alisha. I am 32 years old and spent about 13 years of my life (when not incarcerated, on probation, or on house arrest) blinded by the lies of my addiction. My drug of choice was Marijuana. For 12 out of the 13 years, I would NEVER admit that I was addicted or that my choice of using Marijuana was wrong (except that it was illegal). Toward the end of my addiction, Marijuana began to become more acceptable. In certain states, Marijuana was being legalized or the debate to legalize it was on the table. This fed my belief that Marijuana was helpful and not harmful. It also fed the belief that God himself created Marijuana and said: “It was good”. Because I did not identify as an addict, I had many defenses for my chronic use. It started when I was 18. I moved into my first apartment and I began to have trouble sleeping. Later I found I was battling symptoms of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and every night when I would lie down to sleep my mind would flood with memories, thoughts, and questions about some of my childhood experiences. I would cry and rock; sleep did not come easy. A lot of my associates used Marijuana regularly. Sometimes here and there I would smoke a little. I was cautious in the beginning. At the time, I was more focused on my college education and work. I realized that whenever I did smoke a little Marijuana I would fall asleep and become extremely unmotivated. So, I began to use Marijuana at night to help me fall asleep. This would be the beginning of an addiction that would slowly get out of control.

As years passed, I developed new defenses and reasoning for my addiction. All of my life up until that point, I struggled with a healthy appetite and I was always skinny. My next excuse was that Marijuana helped my appetite. I definitely would get the “munchies” but in reality, it did not help my appetite. Actually, over time I realized that I didn’t want to eat at all if I could not smoke. Eventually, I didn’t have an appetite at all. As the years of my use progressed, I felt that I was not a likable person when I was sober. I was easily irritated, I had frequent outbursts of anger and sometimes reacted in a very violent manner. When I used Marijuana, I felt that I was more nonchalant and that I could tolerate people and difficult situations better. I even believed that using Marijuana helped with the anxiety I was experiencing. Over time, this proved to be a lie as well. Even with the “assistance” of Marijuana I was still always anxious (my wet armpits proved this), I fought and argued every day with my significant other and anyone else that “crossed me”, and I began to become even less tolerant of people and life’s everyday challenges.

After many years of chronic use, I needed no excuse for my use. I finally accepted that I had gotten to a point that I could not function without being high. I didn’t want to feel anything. I didn’t want to face the challenges of living sober. I didn’t even want to be on Earth. I would wake up every morning and be angry because I had to face the day. I would stay in toxic relationships because Marijuana was available and I didn’t have to pay (I never like using my own money to support my usage).

As I began to commit myself more to Christ, I started to feel uncomfortable with my addiction. I was willing to change everything else, but I was not willing to give up Marijuana. I actually talked to my heavenly Father one day and said, “Lord, if this is wrong in your eyes, have mercy on me because I don’t think I will ever be able to function without it”. I knew deep in my heart it was wrong, but I was not willing to stop smoking Marijuana. The more I continued to use and try to serve the Lord, the more uncomfortable I became. I was hungry for a relationship with my creator, but the sacrifice seemed to be too much. At this point, I would tell myself daily, “I have to stop, I have to stop”. I could feel the separation that my addiction was causing spiritually. The hunger for an intimate relationship with Christ, my Savior, increased and the discomfort from my stubbornness increased along with it. I decided I had to make a serious sacrifice. Ms. “Mary Jane” had to go. Anything coming between my spiritual progress and personal relationship with my creator had to go. The fight began. It was time to slay the giant of addiction in my life.

The first week was challenging but I busied myself. I didn’t allow an idle mind to push me back into wanting to use. As time passed, I began to feel different. My appetite naturally increased. I didn’t feel anxiety anymore (literally it went away). I was nervous at first because I was so used to being constantly anxious and on edge, but this was a feeling I could get used to. As my mind began to “defog”, I started to feel free. I began to realize the bondage I had been in for all of those years. I also realized that using Marijuana was intensifying most of the symptoms I was trying to treat.

Life hurts. Life is challenging. Life is not just a journey; Life is a fight. Many of us turn to substances to help cope with this reality. It doesn’t work. It will NEVER work. Instead of trying to avoid the pain that comes with everyday life, FACE IT! OVERCOME IT! You are bigger and stronger than the giant of addiction! SLAY IT!


___________________________________________________________________

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/McpVaTYZoYyj6l-cayqZQoudOUsA6wi0XWY0uq1wAUiv5OCZKmKMpSpRzHhejylgOecrW_TRi4-qWX1nlvQn4PlSdzBLPN9WAp4nq3wXTOdEVi2SzoadvUeRjWtxeEMB7cKHoHGQ-5uD3ekOvw
Alumni Daniel Ellsworth

 “Twenty-four years ago, November 5th, 1994, I went to SOS in San Antonio, Texas, following a few state-certified Recovery/Rehab attempts, I had relapsed again on crack cocaine. My life was literally in ashes…nothing solid. No home. No automobile. No job. No joy. No hope. In a less than modest facility at SOS, I was taught the principles of a Christ-centered recovery lifestyle:”

  1. Learn the word of God
  2. Practical Application of the word in my life
  3. Stroll in the Spirit

“24 years later…. I AM STILL FREE!!!”
____________________________________________________________
Image result for anonymous profile pictureAnonymous
“Before my dad came to SOS, he was always drinking and doing drugs. He was always in and out of jail, so I barely got to see him. When I did get to see him it was a quick hug as he was running out the door to go party. During this time, I lived in a tiny 3-bedroom house with 2 adults and 6 other kids. I hated that my mom had left us with our grandma and most of the time I had to go to the jail to visit my dad. Finally, God answered my prayers. They released my dad from jail and let him go to SOS. I went to go live with Stacey, dad’s girlfriend at the time. My dad, in reality, should have gone to prison for 40 years, but God had a different plan. God’s plan was for us kids to have our dad back. After my dad and Stacey got married and living in the apartment at SOS, we were blessed with the house across the street so we could be a part of SOS forever. Without God, none of this could have happened. Only God could change my dad, and he did. I am so grateful for SOS. God uses Apostle Mario and Pastor Regina to help men get their families back. Just like they did for our family.” These are the words of a little girl who at the time was about 12 years old. She wrote this 8 years ago. Currently, her father is incarcerated again and his wife has relapsed. This is a heartbreaking reality of a couple who has been “SNAKE-BITTEN”.



_________________________________________________________________

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/R_xXLXIVZqSqOM8tu6uOK8yELWpEOHrZWTN-Rf3c-2UEvuyJj5YDAGYjY9w7OYgOZr6THv1Nq8g68Oo-a_PJarOtivMbLKcZH_Msns7mKtNXu3auJ-BQkosZ4bewrW-msCfPqAJkpyRHsyWQ_g
Marcie
In June of this year following a long train ride from Ft. Atkinson, Wisconsin, I arrived in South Bend, Indiana, at 11:45pm. I was scared, ashamed, confused and truthfully still wanting to use. Upon arrival, I was so blessed to see the friendly, familiar face of Stacey Adkins who came to pick me up and take me home to spend the night until I could do my intake during office hours. I had known Stacey years ago and had even been her baby sitter when she was little. I knew through family members that she had faced her own demons of addiction and her recovery at SOS had proven to be successful. I felt safe that someone I knew was there. There was no condemnation but an assurance that “recovery works if I would be willing to work the principles.” No magic…no quick fixes, no fluff but I could be confident that no matter how hard it might get, I would never be alone. Jesus would be right there with me…through it all! I remember talking to Pastor Regina before making my decision to leave everything in Wisconsin to begin the “recovery journey.” She prayed with me the prayer of salvation. I asked Jesus to forgive me of my sins and cleanse me and to give me a new life…and He did! I felt shame, guilt and condemnation leave me. I knew God had given me a “second chance.” For three months, I just focused on my Christ-Centered recovery. I attended every service and all my meetings. I did have struggles but I just continued to do what I was told even when I didn’t like it. They were kind enough to get me a gym membership. I have now lost weight and feel better about myself and recovery lifestyle. I have a job and am saving money for a car. I am getting to know the “New me” and I like her! I am learning that feelings of sadness, anger, and anxiety can be a normal part of life. I am discovering how to accept and manage them rather than using drugs, alcohol or toxic relationships to escape them. Someone recently asked what I loved about SOS/Recovery Management Center? After thinking about it…hands down…the thing I love most is that it feels like home…a family. To me, that is what recovery is all about. I remember my first pass. I went to spend the day with my brother and came home that evening. When I came in, Apostle Mario was waiting up for me. I heard him call my name, he said, “Marci, is that you?” I said, “Yes Apostle, it’s me, I’m home.” He replied, “I just wanted to make sure you were alright and that it went well.” I felt this overwhelming love come over me. It was like a father waiting up for his daughter to make sure she was safe. The thing I love most is that I feel “LOVED.” I feel “Family.” We have fun, we learn, we are corrected and counseled. I love being loved!


Servants of the Streets (S.O.S.)

Reaching 6,000 per year
We embrace the addiction community with a Christ-centered message of freedom and healing from trauma, addiction, depression, anxiety and more. Many attending, are in treatment for the first time, some suffering from relapse while others are fighting to overcome toxic relationships. Tuesday nights are designed for recoverees to gain the courage to confront, conquer and slay the giant of addiction! We must all be willing to face the difficult root issues that generate unhealthy lifestyles; accepting the responsibility and accountability for our behaviors and recovery.

________________________________________________________________

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Sup662-OpFJVftSxmBcXLZaws7Vb30txhd-18eg613rfTWd9dlbIuctTq_D5vEAmZzuGEDtrfNH8Mj3OMlTwjtOkOHzCdsooLWW1Q6B2nMfsNuPjOWddXKFOXqe1fJxiSUgfmI_GVJ7C15Vuw
Apostle Mario & Pastor Regina Villela
After years of chasing acceptance and approval through turbulent relationships, professional competitive careers and a social life that ended in full-blown addiction to drugs and alcohol, Regina encountered a head-on collision with "The Transformer"...Jesus Christ! In December of 1986, Pastor, Dr. Regina Villela, along with her husband Apostle Mario Villela, was born again at the First Baptist Church in Canyon Lake, Texas. It was here that she surrendered her life to Jesus, as her "greater power", acknowledging to God that her life had become unmanageable and completely out of control. This began the journey into the divine destiny of Servants of the Streets Ministries...more affectionately known as the "SOS HOME." In 1989, Dr. Regina and husband, Apostle Mario founded Servants of the Streets Ministries on the deep west side of San Antonio, Texas. The ministry was relocated to Elkhart, Indiana, in 1995. Since the inception...the recovery message has been clear: Confront the Temptation, Prepare for the Struggle, Face the Adversity, and Slay the Giant of Addiction! Dr. Regina has labored to inspire addictive audiences nationally and internationally through public speaking...challenging them to Live a Better Life, Strive For Success, and to Overcome Hardships With Perseverance and Strength.





Post a Comment

0 Comments